June 20, 2009

Free Backup Program from GFI

I’ve always tried to sell folks on putting a good backup strategy in place. I’ve lost count of the number of times that I’ve been asked “My kids have messed up my machine. What can I do?”. Usually, the answer is “Not much. Wipe it out and start over.”. Needless to say this is not what they want to hear. I’m just about convinced that I’m the only person on the face of the earth that actually has a scheduled backup running on my computer! (only kidding… there are probably 2 or 3 of us).

There are two main benefits to having backups available (note I said *BACKUPS*, not *BACKUP*):

  • You can restore your computer to a previous state where you know everything works.
  • You can restore corrupted/deleted/edited files

Needless to say, I’ve been spectacularly unsuccessful in my mission… :-(  Often the problems are cost and complexity. For some reason folks are willing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on a computer, but not 50-60 dollars to protect their setup. The good news is that there is a wealth of free software out there that is just a good as some paid versions. When it comes to backups, it looks like GFI has one for backups.
http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm

I found it in a review by Michael Pietroforte in a 4SYSOPS blog . You should read it.
http://4sysops.com/archives/gfi-backup-free-backup-software-for-desktops-and-laptops/

Try it, no cost and you may like it… ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment